free hit counter En Route: Sarawak culture Village

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Sarawak culture Village



Finally 2 weeks have passed since ive been in Kuching, and almost a month since I have left. And this trip has proved to be better than the last. Anyhow, Dee (her parents owning a renowned travel agency) got us some tickets to the Sarawak culture village yesterday. the regular cost was RM45 but I got mine for RM30 after a long drive to Dumai we made our way to the culture village, we looked around and took some photos of the indigenous tribal settlements, we took a few photos of a Budayu hut, and then it was time for the big show.

Now mind you that the state of Sarawak is comprised of many different ethnicities. The majority of which are Hokkien Chinese. Then you have your Malay, and many indigenous tribes like Iban, Ulu, Budayu to name a few, and each of them has their own different culture. So being in Malaysia is like having a mix of new and old and a constant mixture of cultures wherever you go.

Anyways on with the story, the show is supposed to be mostly displaying the native dances of the native people, there were some great dances, and unlike what some other people my think, my eyes weren’t fixated solely on the women. But rather the men who were constantly daring acrobatics that makes my body ache in sympathy.

Mid show there was a man who went on stage to demonstrate the hunting technique used by many of the tribes, he danced around, and used his sharp machete. And but the most exciting was when he was using his blow gun. He was using the blow gun to shoot targets that seemed to be at least 50 yards away. Now it was impressive, but watching someone who is perfect at doing something isn’t completely fun. So he decided that he would jump off of stage.

Now at first I had thought to myself that he must be looking for a participant (willing or unwilling). And being that I like to have fun and sometimes tease people. I decided to point with my left hand to my right at Dee. but still he looks around the crowd... again I point with my left hand gesturing that he should take Dee up on the stage, finally he reaches over and pulls her up, and brings her on stage.

Now, at first she looked like she was a cat that had been thrown into a bathtub, a bit embarrassed to say the least. She stood there, while he circled her slowly, what in my humble opinion appeared to be him checking her out. Finally after he checked out the goods, he gave me a big proud looking thumbs up. then he shows her how to use the blow pipe(where my movie began) he gestures for her to blow, and then points right at me, at which point I cant stop from laughing. And then he has her point at a balloon from above, and tries to hit it.

he decides that perhaps 20 feet is too close, perhaps 2 would do better, so he loads another dart into the blow gun, and then walks her straight dab in front of the balloon, and finally the balloon pops, and everyone gives their applauds then Dee and the exhibionist do a bow, and she walks off of stage

Afterwards we continued to roam around the culture village, and take more pictures, I got lost while Dee snuck off to the waterfall (which I wish I would have gone to) but all the while it was a great trip. And I would be looking forward to another soon.

Anyhow I have some video of the culture village and some pictures of Dee as well, but if you would want any they would have to be at request sent to my e-mail. And then I could either provide the password to her photo album, or send the movies via e-mail (although you should probably make sure to make some room before asking me if you’re using web mail.)

Dee's performance 10mb
Scarf dancing 20MB
Budayu dancing 50MB
Malaysia vocal finale 40MB